SAN FRANCISCO — Jacob deGrom’s trip to the doctor Monday left the Mets still hopeful their ace will return this season.
After an MRI exam last week indicated deGrom’s elbow swelling had subsided, but not enough to resume throwing, the pitcher was examined by Dr. David Altchek, and told, according to manager Luis Rojas, that the inflammation was “improving.”
Even so, deGrom’s shutdown will remain for another two weeks, at least, according to the manager. Once deGrom begins throwing he will need a buildup that would take him deep into September before he could potentially rejoin the Mets.
DeGrom last pitched for the Mets on July 7. He was placed on the injured list after returning from the All-Star break with right forearm tightness. In recent weeks the discomfort has stemmed from swelling in the elbow.
The Mets planned to recall Trevor Williams from Triple-A Syracuse before the game to provide the team with additional bullpen depth following Carlos Carrasco’s abbreviated start Sunday.
After watching the Mets go 2-for-29 with runners in scoring position in three losses to the Dodgers, Rojas was asked about players perhaps “overthinking” situations.
“In the past I think we said, ‘overthinking,’ but at this point I think we aggressively expanded, we chased a lot, those are two different things we had this season,” Rojas said.
Rojas said he spoke to his father, Felipe Alou, on a Zoom call before the Mets departed for the West Coast. Alou, who lives in the Dominican Republic, still serves as a special adviser for the Giants. Rojas said he and his dad talk baseball, but avoid discussing the inner-workings of their specific teams.
The Mets are in a stretch of 13 straight games against the Dodgers and Giants. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, they are the first team to play 13 straight games against teams with at least a .600 winning percentage at least 100 games into the season since the Blue Jays in 1980.
View original post